don't click here

Roskur's Run

Overview

MESSAGE FROM THE DEV
The demo has been removed at this time because it no longer reflects the current build. Look out on the Dirty Beast Games Twitter when a new one may be released.

THE GAME, AT THIS TIME

Roskur’s Run is a fast-paced Sonic-inspired action platformer in very early alpha stages of development. The player controls Roskur on his quest to reach the top of the world tree in time.

It's a solo dev project I started in late April 2022. So far, the demo is VERY short, a quick single Act, and is a proof of concept of player character movement. I have bigger plans for the broader game loop that will come in the future.
I'm excited to hear feedback.
Follow me on Twitter @JRCheney1

CONTROLS

Hold the Attack button down to charge a spinning dash attack.
Spinning attack does not last indefinitely, it depends on speed.
Quickly tap the Attack button to perform a 4-directional melee attack.
Downward Leaf Attacks in the air grant extra bounce.
Jumping on enemies hurts you.
Hold Jump mid-air to charge an air jump for more height.
Hold Jump after performing an air jump to helicopter slow fall, or increase jump height even.
Press Tornado Teleport button to send forth a small cyclone projectile.
Tap the Tornado Teleport button again to teleport to location.
Hold the Tornado Teleport button to destroy the tornado.
Tornados stopped at ceiling surfaces allow the player to teleport to them and run on the ceiling.
Certain thin wooden barriers can be teleported through.
Hold the bounce button to bounce, simply tap it mid-air to fast fall without a bounce.
Tap down directional while running to leaf surf.
Tap up while surfing to return to running.
Surfing does not hurt enemies.
Press towards walls while jumping to wall slide.
Charged spin dash attacks climb walls.
Hold the Attack button while wall sliding to charge a spin dash up the wall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

XInput Controller:

• Left Control Stick or D-Pad - Movement
  • A - Jump and Air Jump
  • X - Charge Dash and Leaf Attack
  • Y - Fast Fall / Bounce
  • B - Tornado Teleport
  • Start - Game Pause

Keyboard:

• WASD - Movement
  • Down Arrow - Jump and Air Jump
  • Left Arrow - Charge Dash and Leaf Attack
  • Up Arrow - Fast Fall / Bounce
  • Right Arrow - Tornado Teleport
  • Enter/Return - Game Pause

Media

Credits

Josh Cheney - Artist/Programmer/Game Designer | Twitter @JRCheney1

Comments

There's probably a lot to like here, but I can't get past the control scheme. Using the arrow keys as action buttons is completely unintuitive, especially when pressing Up moves you down and pressing Down moves you up. This is why PC games have rebindable controls. There's also some weird graphical issue where everything's kind of blurry on the horizontal sides. I see a lot of interesting moves and level gimmicks to play with, which is enticing, and the graphics looks okay except for the blurring, and it's neat to see a higher resolution than a lot of similar games so people can explore things carefully, so I'd like to be able to play this, but I can't get my fingers to accept the arrow keys as doing anything other than moving me in the direction I press.

There's probably a lot to like here, but I can't get past the control scheme. Using the arrow keys as action buttons is completely unintuitive, especially when pressing Up moves you down and pressing Down moves you up. This is why PC games have rebindable controls. There's also some weird graphical issue where everything's kind of blurry on the horizontal sides. I see a lot of interesting moves and level gimmicks to play with, which is enticing, and the graphics looks okay except for the blurring, and it's neat to see a higher resolution than a lot of similar games so people can explore things carefully, so I'd like to be able to play this, but I can't get my fingers to accept the arrow keys as doing anything other than moving me in the direction I press.
The keyboard controls are absolutely slapdash right now. I've been designing around gamepad primarily and the keyboard arrow key layout just mirrors the 4 face buttons on a gamepad. I do plan to have remappable inputs in the future. Thanks for playing and commenting! My literal FIRST comment ever.

The keyboard controls are absolutely slapdash right now. I've been designing around gamepad primarily and the keyboard arrow key layout just mirrors the 4 face buttons on a gamepad. I do plan to have remappable inputs in the future. Thanks for playing and commenting! My literal FIRST comment ever.
why not use IKJL for the actions?

Item information

Added by
dirtybeastgames
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

More from dirtybeastgames

• Feral Frontier
    Rewild yourself! Survive an eat-or-be-eaten brutal-cute dystopian...

Share this item