SAGE 2020 - Demo Midi & Melody

Overview

Midi's really gotten himself in trouble this time. From being pelted with explosives to dashing through a water and lava purification plant, there's nothing this cat won't do to save the world, even if he is a little under-powered. Follow Midi through this speedy, yet perilous journey to stop Professor Phosphor!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE GAME FOR FREE OR DONATE TO US ON ITCH.IO:

You should check out our Discord server:

Check out our Twitter!

Media

Updates

Midi and Melody Demo V1.1.2 Current Changelog (December 20th demo)

Stage changes:

-Tutorial, Drayton Shoreline area 1, and Drayton Shoreline area 2 have all been given overhauled level design
-Tutorial and Drayton Shoreline have been given new art assets, gimmicks, and enemies.
-You now have an option to skip the tutorial

Gameplay changes:

-Multiple pubble mechanic has been removed
-Pubbles now have a short recharge time
-Dashing and double-jumping has been added to Midi's moveset
-Midi is now able to parry damaging objects with a well-timed dash
-2 new shields, auto-parry and protection, have been added
-Crates now give 2 gems directly to you
-Gems now bounce in an easier to collect manner
-Enemies now drop health
-Double jump has been weakened

Boss changes:

-The tutorial was given a boss
-EDM miniboss is now more complex, following complaints of the boss being a little too simple
-Major Boss (Holopod) has gone through a general overhaul:
•New, better sprites for the boss
•Replaced explosives with energy pellets
•Hologram can now be deflected by dashing into it
•Boss is now a little easier, having an easy strategy to beat it with a bit of experimentation with your moves
•Boss camera is now much bigger
- Bosses can now take critical hits when they are not defending themselves

Misc changes:

-Menus got a fresh coat of paint
-Physics were slightly tweaked to make Midi faster
-Brand new HUD
-Loading screens, an intro sequence, and a new disclaimer screen were added
-Brand new title card
-New checkpoints, to match the general theme of the game
-Shields can no longer be obtained from crates, but rather from that hold them
-Midi has more animations -Special level beginnings
-Text boxes no longer have animations, in order to make readability easier
-Text boxes now have character portraits
-A proper credits sequence has been added
-Some music has been remixed, replaced, or more music has been made
-General bug-fixes and tweaks to assorted issues previously mentioned

Credits

Makeshift: Programming, Level Design, Art, Writing, Social Media Management
Marcy. P: Art, Concept Art, Music, Promotional Art
Nuclear: Music
Gabe'sShenanigans: Music
Cyan. H: Concept Art
David. M: Writing

Contributors:
Soft.bit: Concept Art
Loom: Concept Art
Bazinga: Art
Dolphman: Art

Comments

Finally played this one, but had some mixed feelings.

The graphics are phenomenal. The pixel art really "pops" and everything looks quite beautiful.

I feel like the gameplay bites off more than it can chew. Midi has a lot of moves at his disposal, but none of them feel fully fleshed out. He can spin with X like Crash Bandicoot, and sometimes this attack launches you forward at max speed. It only does that sometimes, though, and it's hard to predict when it does. Choosing and launching pubbles is an interesting mechanic, but I haven't found a use for them outside of situational moments. They can also WRECK the framerate if they get stuck in walls or there are too many onscreen. They're way too easy to spam. Launching yourself from crystals is a cool mechanic, but it seemed to work about half the time.

For a game like this, I'd suggest picking one-or-two mechanics to focus on and design the game around those, rather than having a whole arsenal. That way, levels are more intuitive and there's less that can go wrong in terms of bugs and mistakes.

Looking at the patch notes tells me that you're listening to feedback and working to polish the game, though, which is a good sign! Some of the things I had trouble with were mentioned in them, so I don't know if I played the current version or an old one. Regardless, I'm looking forward to how this one progresses!

Finally played this one, but had some mixed feelings.

The graphics are phenomenal. The pixel art really "pops" and everything looks quite beautiful.

I feel like the gameplay bites off more than it can chew. Midi has a lot of moves at his disposal, but none of them feel fully fleshed out. He can spin with X like Crash Bandicoot, and sometimes this attack launches you forward at max speed. It only does that sometimes, though, and it's hard to predict when it does. Choosing and launching pubbles is an interesting mechanic, but I haven't found a use for them outside of situational moments. They can also WRECK the framerate if they get stuck in walls or there are too many onscreen. They're way too easy to spam. Launching yourself from crystals is a cool mechanic, but it seemed to work about half the time.

For a game like this, I'd suggest picking one-or-two mechanics to focus on and design the game around those, rather than having a whole arsenal. That way, levels are more intuitive and there's less that can go wrong in terms of bugs and mistakes.

Looking at the patch notes tells me that you're listening to feedback and working to polish the game, though, which is a good sign! Some of the things I had trouble with were mentioned in them, so I don't know if I played the current version or an old one. Regardless, I'm looking forward to how this one progresses!
Thanks for the feedback here! We have noticed a few problems you've had here and we absolutely plan to resolve them. More will be explained in a Twitter post that is planned soon, so maybe go check out our twitter to see how we're gonna fix up the mechanics! (Totally not a shameless plug)

Hello,
i was trying to play this game, but either Windows Defender or my Anti-Virus Software Kaspersky Internet Security confuses it with a virus and deletes it immediately.
Could you please put it in another file, which wouldn’t be confused with a virus?

Hello,
i was trying to play this game, but either Windows Defender or my Anti-Virus Software Kaspersky Internet Security confuses it with a virus and deletes it immediately.
Could you please put it in another file, which wouldn’t be confused with a virus?
Unfortunately, I can't, that's a problem with the engine I have used to build the game. You'll have to find a way around the antivirus.

Item information

Added by
Makeshift
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

Share this item