SAGE 2020 - Demo Kiko and the Game Kids - Sage 2020 ALPHA

Overview

This is Kiko and the Game Kids. A small project made by a small team

"A shy, speedy and eletric blue boy fights against the evil that lives underneath his home, Hill Top Island. Kiko and the Game Kids is a Platformer about kids being super-heroes."

Game Kids the game is also sort of a tie in with our other project: Game Kids animated.
Both of these media take place in the same universe with the same characters and story, so it is not necessary for you to watch one if you want to consume the other.

That being said, the web series will focus more on story/characters while the game will try to focus more on gameplay!
These are not huge changes of course, just small ones that can help you decide in wich way YOU would like to experience our universe.

I'll leave a trailer for the webseries on our Media segment

Feedback is appreciated! Don't be shy to let out your opinion, improving is always a must for us!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy Game Kids

-Francis

Give us a follow on Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/KikoGameKidGame

And YouTube for Trailers and Content: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMA4cfKUBfWvlYgJSSvOk0g?view_as=subscriber

Media

Updates

First day of Update!
-Fixed the "exit" bug. Now you don't need to use the task manager, you can simply press "ESC." or Close the window

Last day of SAGE update! Weird time for an update huh?

-The controls and collision for Kiko/Light-Blue have been fixed and changed a bit due to reports of collision bugs and the "super jump" move slowing down gameplay;

-Ash's level now has a little more too it then it just being a boss battle.

16-09-2020 Update;
-After reading some comments and watching some videos we've decided to consider this version of the game an "ALPHA" instead of "DEMO". We've also made a new executable, that sadly had to cut some of the extra content but has a more focused and simple gameplay style!

Credits

Created by Francisco Figueiredo and Raquel Castro

Character designs also by Francisco and Raquel with a little help from our friends Xaiyan and Comet

Music by Davi (https://soundcloud.com/user-535614113) and Xaiyan (https://soundcloud.com/big-xaiyan )

Comments

Now i need to reveal something:
The creators of this are BRAZILIANS!!!
That's how i like it (because i'm also brazilian as well).
I still didn't play yet, but the artstyle is so beautiful.

This one's pretty rough, but there's so much potential in it.

The controls feel straight-up broken. Marvel-landing and then doing a high-jump out of it is a pretty unique mechanic, but the way your horizontal movement resets every time you jump or land slaughters the gamefeel. Getting stuck on walls as you hug them while rising or falling is also quite jarring.

That said, I found the overall art style and aesthetic of the game SUPER charming. The cutesy characters and the "high school superhero" aesthetic drew me in. I'd read a comic about these characters or watch a cartoon. The animations are expressive and fluid, as well. I hope you can work out some of the issues, because the world's sucking me in!

Now i need to reveal something:
The creators of this are BRAZILIANS!!!
That's how i like it (because i'm also brazilian as well).
I still didn't play yet, but the artstyle is so beautiful.
Haha thanks! I'm glad you liked the art! Hope you enjoy the game as well :D

Well, some of the people who helped out ARE brazilian, most of us are actually portuguese hehe.
I'm glad that Brazil is getting a lot of representation on this year's SAGE! You guys have AMAZING developers!

This one's pretty rough, but there's so much potential in it.

The controls feel straight-up broken. Marvel-landing and then doing a high-jump out of it is a pretty unique mechanic, but the way your horizontal movement resets every time you jump or land slaughters the gamefeel. Getting stuck on walls as you hug them while rising or falling is also quite jarring.

That said, I found the overall art style and aesthetic of the game SUPER charming. The cutesy characters and the "high school superhero" aesthetic drew me in. I'd read a comic about these characters or watch a cartoon. The animations are expressive and fluid, as well. I hope you can work out some of the issues, because the world's sucking me in!
Thank you for writing! I'll be looking into fixing as many issues as I can for a possible Demo 2 and also the final release.

Since you seemed interested in a "comic or cartoon" about the characters, i'd like to remnid you that our team is planning to release something like that on our youtube channel (as you can see in the media section) in case you'd be interested in that.

Thanks for all the kind words, criticisms etc. We'll be working hard to try and bring you a better experience when the final product is complete!

I had a similar experience with what WhiskerMidi said. I found the visuals and character design interesting, and I get what you guys are going for with it, it's pretty cute and I'm not surprised it's part of a larger series/project. While the presentation is there in the game, the controls need a lot of work. One of my friends thinks you might have inputs tied to animation frames, which need to have more leniency, because half the time when I push a button, a sound will play but nothing happens. The boss battle against the egg guy was virtually impossible, due to the strict timing and my input not working half the time. Platforming was a bit difficult since Kiko would fail to move left/right sometimes. I did like the number of moves he had, though.

While having a lot of modes is ambitious, I think you should focus on getting Kiko's to feel better first. Focus more on responsiveness; if someone pushes a button the character should always react as intended. A way I usually approach it is by using a variable to keep track of a character's "state" (running, jumping, attacking, etc) and using a switch case to check which one they're in. That way, I can control what animations play when, what controls are possible, how movement is, and when they go into a different state. It helps a lot with things being less overwhelming and easier to figure out where the problem is.

I'm hoping that helps out, because it really does look cute and fun. I hope the team continues working on and improving it.

Item information

Added by
GameKids Guy
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item