SAGE 2020 - Demo Hand Drawn Sonic 2 Reimagining (UGZ Demo)

Overview

This project was born from my love of Sonic, animation and my fascination with the Master System version of Sonic 2. It was my first game, I grew up loving it even with it's 8 bit flaws. After seeing both Triple Trouble and Chaos get fan remakes, and as a side project while I refine my art while studying animation, I decided to update my favourite Sonic game! This game is built using the opensurge engine, which debuted at last year's SAGE!

In this small demo, I hope you will get a taste of what is to come for this project
- Hand drawn and digitised sprites
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles style progression
- Drop Dash, Spin Dash and Peel Out for Sonic
- Brand new level design
- Remixed music from the Sonic community

Keys:
Arrow keys: Movement
Space bar: Jump
Enter: Pause
Esc: Exit

I nearly skipped out on SAGE this year, but I thought it would be fun to put out what I'd spent the last 9 months working on, even if the graphics are going to be redrawn next year, and get to see people's genuine reactions to my interpretation of Sonic 2. So yeah, this is an early work in progress, please forgive any placeholder graphics and jank. Also I'm relatively new to scripting and coding, and I haven't got the Minecarts to work properly yet, but I hope Sonic's full moveset makes up for that. Thank you for checking this out and happy SAGE 2020!

Known Issues:
- Gamepad support is broken, I recommend Keyboard controls while we work out the controller kinks. Another nice workaround is to launch the game in Steam and map the keyboard controls to any controller of your choice. I have tested it with Nintendo Switch Pro and PS4 controllers this way
- Pausing the game resets AI timeouts, and can cause issues with UGZ Act 2's Boss

Media

Updates

- Ported shield graphics over from Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Paper Zone, which is just a playground/test level, can now be finished, and ends the demo
- Added new power up, the minecart monitor, which is a temporary workaround for the Minecart gimmick! It works like a shield, and will propel Sonic right, and lasts until you get hit.
- Act 1 level design adjustments and extension for minecart segments.
- Changed the 1up jingle to the non intrusive 8 bit sfx from the original game, which doesn't interrupt the level music. Unfortunately collecting 100 rings and playing music is hard coded into the engine (which I can not edit at the moment) so on that occasion a special remixed 1up jingle will play instead.
- Added a title screen!
- Added a storyboard concept cutscene in between Acts 1 & 2 of Under Ground Zone!
- There is a hidden Bonus Minecart challenge deep beneath UGZ Act 1, if you find it, the in game music will change to a special remix that I listened to whilst designing the Minecart segments. Can you find it?
- Added The Fire Dash ability for the Fire Shield! Lightning and Bubble abilities not yet implemented
- Added a new level! Sky High Zone Act 1 has been in development during SAGE based on stream feedback. I am now proud to present my hand drawn vision. You can access this level by skipping the capsule after UGZ2's boss, simply jump over it and proceed right (or you can just use the level select).

Credits

Opensurge engine developed by Alexandre Martins
Additional script, art, level design and developed by Jonathan Manwaring
Additional programming by Hajira Kayani
Under Ground Zone Act 1 and 2 exclusive remixes by Akidna (Youtube)
Boss music remixes by Bridge Capper (Youtube)
Invincibility remix by Alej9fl (Youtube)
Special 1up & Level Cleared jingles remixed by DV2 (Youtube)
Bonus Minecart music "Bramble Blast Act 2" by Lil Boulder (Youtube)
Placeholder graphics sourced from www.sonicgalaxy.net

Special Thanks to the Open Surge discord for their help and support

And special thanks to my friends who playtested
Hajira Kayani
Jay Artorias
Benjamin Trotter
Harmeet Heer

Latest reviews

This was incredibly fun. Great level design. The overall visual style is good, but Sonic's sprite needs some work so he looks more consistent when he moves. The overall experience is still great, though.
good
I love this so much.
i'm looking forward to more of this :D
Reactions: xinconety and Smash

Comments

any way i could help on this
For this project I am seeking:
- Musicians for later Zones, Special Stages and Sound Mixing
- Playtesters who play using an Xbox One Controller and can provide a detailed report of controller issues
- Programmers who are familiar with the surge script language who can help with in engine cutscenes, enemy AI and gimmick implementation
- Fans of the original 8 bit Sonic 2 for general discussion and people to bounce ideas off and send demo's to

Feel free to get in touch if you feel you can help in any way, this game has a thread on SSMB at
https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/25308-my-sonic-2-8-bit-remake-thread/
Open surge forums
http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2057
or send an email to me directly at
sonictheguy@hotmail.com and lets talk some Sonic

- Playtesters who play using an Xbox One Controller and can provide a detailed report of controller issues
- Programmers who are familiar with the surge script language who can help with in engine cutscenes, enemy AI and gimmick implementation
- Fans of the original 8 bit Sonic 2 for general discussion and people to bounce ideas off and send demo's to

Feel free to get in touch if you feel you can help in any way, this game has a thread on SSMB at
Open surge forums
i have a pro controller I could playtest for switch pro controllers, they are similar to the box controller and most games recognize it as such

Open surge forums
I can help with XBox controller testing, as well as Music and Sound Mixing

Open surge forums
on the SSMB page I replied saying "I would like to help with the art"
I could send you some of my animations for sonic soon.
just tell me if you want them.
also i commented as "SmashWere"

Man this is badass! I definitely think you should fully commit to the hand-drawn style tho, instead of overlaying it with a pixel filter

Wow the level design is really good, it flows so well! I did run into some issues though, sometimes pressing jump on the controller does not work in this game and the act 2 boss didn't show up the first time. But overall really good job!

Item information

Added by
JustJohn43
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item