don't click here

Shantae & Asha: Dream Fantasia

General Information

Shantae and Asha: Dream Fantasia is an open-world 2D Platformer that blends action, RPG, puzzle, and adventure elements into one. It is a crossover featuring Asha from the 1994 Sega Genesis classic; Monster World IV and Shantae from the 2002 Game Boy Color classic; Shantae.

It is a brand new adventure that serves as Monster World IV-2, a Shantae crossover, and a crossover of other characters; most notably from the action-platform and RPG genres.

Disclaimer: with the exception of custom content, I do NOT own anything regarding content such as music, sprites, sound effects, or characters. That all belongs to their respective owners and should not be sold in any way, shape, or form!

Reactions: Ice and Foxeh

Latest reviews

The link dosent work ?
Reactions: XBuster
XBuster
XBuster
I have fixed the link as of now. The 2018 version was removed long ago and I forgot to update it.
i love you man.. keep going.
Reactions: XBuster
XBuster
XBuster
Haha! Thank you very much :) I'm glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to releasing the full game in the future.
Reactions: Foxeh

Comments

It looks cute and polished from the screenshots. I wish it had more information and pictures. I'll give it a try and come back later.

It looks cute and polished from the screenshots. I wish it had more information and pictures. I'll give it a try and come back later.
Thank you very much:) I'll make sure to update the game's information to the best of my ability so all sites know what's up. I look forward to your feedback.

Saving my progress at a save sage takes seven distinct key presses across eighteen seconds, and I think that really sums up my experience with this game. It looks like an immensely impressive work with oodles of content, but it's so buried under complicated menus and cutscenes that my will is too drained to continue. My save file says *50 minutes* and in that time I think I've encountered maybe three enemies, but I know I've tried multiple ways to get the game to accept my control rebindings, exited the game by accident mulitple times by pressing Esc, and spent a long time wandering around a castle in search of two characters and instead finding lots of empty rooms with no clear gameplay purpose. After I've pressed Esc and want to resume my game, I press Enter a bunch of times... until Enter suddenly arbitrarily stops doing anything and I'm supposed to press Z instead. If I want to Continue, I'm told the game won't let me do that, until I've first tracked down my save file which for some reason it doesn't do by default. This all feels less like playing a video game and more like failing a test.

I recognize that some of my confusion stems from having played Shantae but not Monster Hunter. There are lots of moves and menu systems that I should be familiar with, rather than feeling that they're all dumped on me from the beginning with no explanation. But even when I know how to control the characters, it still takes way too much time waiting for a chance to actually play the game so I know if I'm going to enjoy it or not, even though I'm sure I would enjoy the game part of this experience if I could only find it. This is why Shantae games start with action sequences before they start laying out a storyline. I want to save by pressing at most two keys, possibly even zero.

My gripes with the menu mirror those of Violet above me. Sometimes it's Enter, other times it's Z in which case Enter is Back, and I can't make sense of the Options menu. It says the "triggers" are tabs, but my controller isn't recognized at all. I'm sure the game is probably fantastic, but setting it up has been utterly confusing so far.

Saving my progress at a save sage takes seven distinct key presses across eighteen seconds, and I think that really sums up my experience with this game. It looks like an immensely impressive work with oodles of content, but it's so buried under complicated menus and cutscenes that my will is too drained to continue. My save file says *50 minutes* and in that time I think I've encountered maybe three enemies, but I know I've tried multiple ways to get the game to accept my control rebindings, exited the game by accident mulitple times by pressing Esc, and spent a long time wandering around a castle in search of two characters and instead finding lots of empty rooms with no clear gameplay purpose. After I've pressed Esc and want to resume my game, I press Enter a bunch of times... until Enter suddenly arbitrarily stops doing anything and I'm supposed to press Z instead. If I want to Continue, I'm told the game won't let me do that, until I've first tracked down my save file which for some reason it doesn't do by default. This all feels less like playing a video game and more like failing a test.

I recognize that some of my confusion stems from having played Shantae but not Monster Hunter. There are lots of moves and menu systems that I should be familiar with, rather than feeling that they're all dumped on me from the beginning with no explanation. But even when I know how to control the characters, it still takes way too much time waiting for a chance to actually play the game so I know if I'm going to enjoy it or not, even though I'm sure I would enjoy the game part of this experience if I could only find it. This is why Shantae games start with action sequences before they start laying out a storyline. I want to save by pressing at most two keys, possibly even zero.

There's not really much I can say regarding the saves as I've done all I could with those. There are a lot of variables and the save speed itself all depends on how fast your computer can write and read them. The continue option is only for if you have a current save file with a saved location in it, it won't work otherwise.

This isn't a Shantae fan game, but a crossover action RPG that pays tribute to ALL series I've played over time, so it's more of a final exam and swan song as opposed to something that you could only get if you haven't dug much into other series or genres. Experiment a little and be sure to read up on tutorials and explanations. It should come to you eventually!

My gripes with the menu mirror those of Violet above me. Sometimes it's Enter, other times it's Z in which case Enter is Back, and I can't make sense of the Options menu. It says the "triggers" are tabs, but my controller isn't recognized at all. I'm sure the game is probably fantastic, but setting it up has been utterly confusing so far.
Ah, this game doesn't have controller support. You'd have to set it up manually using something like Joy2Key. The game was made in Game Maker 8, so the coding for advanced features such as that aren't present. Moving over to a new engine would break a lot of things as well, which I unfortunately don't have the time to deal with.

As for the menus, I could look into it, but this is the first I've heard of the menu issues out of all the time it's been available. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter at the moment.

Item information

Added by
XBuster
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.50 star(s) 2 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from XBuster

Share this item