don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Mekanikko

Overview

S06.PNG
S09.PNG
S07.PNG

Doodle - Auton 01b.png

"There was a shift in the air, as people are going missing left and right. Is this the work of a psycho? Or perhaps... something much worse..."

Mekanikko is a twin-stick RPG that takes place in the world of modern retro steampunk. Explore the world of automatons, and meet a cast of colorful characters with each of their own story to tell. Solve cases with your partner, and find out the truth of a forgotten tale of this mechanical nightmare.

THIS GAME IS A WORK-IN-PROGRESS.
This build does not fully represent the final outcome of the project, as it will be change. All of the graphics, spritework, and programming are done by the creator. Some of the soundtracks are officially made. This project has been moved from fangame to indie game status recently. Yes, this game was previously known as Sonic and the Mayhem Master.

If you want to see some active development stuff or updates before the next builds, I recommend checking out the GameJolt page, since most of the stuff has been archived and published. I'll try my best to send dev logs every now then in this page. The link is down below after the warning.

Features (Soon-to-be)
Doodle - Mallory01b.png

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Explore an unique pre-futuristic world of this steampunk genre, with characters that know how to tickle your fancy (or not).
  • Venture through different chapters, each of it has its own mystery and story to share.
  • Take control on this multitasking battle system, where the pressure goes on until you drop.
  • Battle against a huge array of mechanical foes and engineers as each of them have their own gimmick and style.
  • Now comes with goofy and witty dialogue! What? Not your type of humor?

Controls

• W/A/S/D ========= Movement
  • E ============== Talk / Interact / Gadget Activate
  • Left Click ========= Interact/Shoot
  • W ============= Jump
  • S ============== Crouch
  • W+S ============ Drop Slam
  • A/D ============ Gadget Select / Attack (only when it's your turn)

S08.PNG
S11.PNG

Updates

What's New? // (0.1.5) -- December 7, 2023
  • The major points for Chapter 01 are done and ready for the public to try.
    • This include the revamped intro segment and plot.
    • Juncture Tower is ready to be explored as the final area of the chapter.
      • V03:The timer for the third maze has been slowed down considerably by half.
        • V04: Timer has been reduced to 1/4 of its speed.
        • V04: The number of enemies has been reduced.
    • Ilumina's boss fight has been redone and improved.
      • V03: The fight has been tweaked, making it a bit easier to handle.
      • V03: The volume for the boss theme has been increased.
  • Auton and the rest received a new makeover (mostly).
    • V05: He has a lot of new battle sprites. He's one step away into becoming a full fledged indie character.
  • Changed the textbox design for reducing clutteredness and improving visibility.
  • Introducing the Ambush System, where enemies lend each other a hand during combat.
    • V05: Ambush System has been revamped into something simple. It is now more effective when it comes to add diversity to encounters without the need of a mob rush to attack the player.
  • Improved some systems that benefit the stability.
  • New original soundtracks have been made for this game!

Credits

This game is created and programmed by James Luigi A. Lising (Trinitroid), and it is done in GameMaker Studio 2.

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK COMPOSERS:
  • John Laurel
    • Battle Theme - Piston Jam (Proto)
    • Battle Theme - Piston Jam
    • Chapter Boss Theme - Fiendish Locomotion (Phase 01)
    • Chapter Boss Theme - Fiendish Locomotion (Phase 02)
    • Metro Highway Act 01 - Pink Paradise
  • Elle Quach
    • Title Theme - Boarding to Nowhere
    • Main Menu - Another Peaceful Night (not yet in the demo)
    • Metro Highway Act 02 - One Way Confidence

Some of the music are borrowed from other creators.
  • MegaMan 5 - Gravity Man (Remix) = Synthescissor
  • Celeste - Checking In = Lena Raine
  • MegaMan Starforce 3 - Meteor Server (Remix) = KokiRemix

Other Information
Mirrors

Latest reviews

I just got done playing it. It was a blast! I just adore the game's art and visuals. All the characters and enemies are very cute and the writing was great and even made me chuckle at times, even if English is clearly not the dev's native language. I can see Deltarune inspiration in some of the game's areas, it's really cool! I also love the battle system. It's really unique and actually kinda reminds me of 'The World Ends With You', what with the button/mouse hybrid system. It also reminds me of 'Sonic RPG' or 'Final Fantasy VII' with attacks being tied to a meter that you wait to fill up. The field puzzles and enemy attack patterns are all engaging and fairly challenging. The puzzles in Juncture Tower were actually pretty tricky and I spent a little while finding the right solution for some of them. Jumping in battle is a little bit buggy. And I really wish there were a run button. But other than those two issues, the game is still really good. I can't wait to see more of the game soon!
Reactions: Trinitroid
So, I almost passed this up cuz there was no gameplay trailer or anything on this page. I ended up looking at your Youtube page to take a glance at gameplay. Looked interesting so I quickly went to play this myself. I'll just get my only real critiques out of the way. English is definitely not your first language, but I'd barely call that a problem. I understood everything no problem. The lack of diagonal movement bothered me a tiny bit, but I adjusted fairly quickly. Small nitpick.

Those aside, I loved everything about the battle system. It started pretty simple at first, but holy crap the boss went in hard and I loved every second of it! That was a perfect taste of the battle system's potential. The only thing that confused me in that fight were the green arrow projectiles they fired. At first I thought that even the arrow lines would damage me. I eventually did learn that only the arrow heads could deal damage. Maybe make the arrow lines a different color to indicate that they're harmless or don't include the lines. The arrow even lose their lines once they reach their second phase, I'm not sure why they're there in the first place.

I'm already in love with this project and I'm eager to see more!
Last edited:
I am always up for games to combine silly and serious when done right, this might be it.
The gameplay is great, I do like the action oriented combat with the use of my mouse and keys at the same time, so it creates a natural dynamic.
The sound and music I don't have much to say since it's taken from other games but I'd say is fitting enough.
The worldbuilding and characters are really well done, very good characterization and very cute style, I dig it a lot.
And the writing, my god the writing, it's just the good kind of silly and I love it, every time it strikes me with something that has me smiling or chuckling, albeit you also know how to create serious or tense moments, IE: Auton going into an existential rant.
In summary I do like this game for what it is and I am hoping to see more of it soon.

Comments

There needs to be a thorough explanation of the battle system and more of highlighting of what which things does, cause i still have no clue what win condition is and why battles end without me attacking once

Item information

Added by
Trinitroid
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Trinitroid