don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Garbage Girl Louise - First Demo

General Information

Smash trash, launch rockets, and make bank as Garbage Girl Louise!

SAGEttleStory.png

Minister Mole and his evil cult of moles have kidnapped every Raccoon in Urbania, including Louise's very
own pet, Rocky! Now she must chase down the moles and settle a score with the Minister himself to save her friends!

SAGEttleGameplay.png

Garbage Girl Louise is inspired by 2D platformers of the past. Destroy trash cans to look for goodies like Pies to heal you, Crystals to spend, and Magical Powerups that transform Louise and adds to her move set! In each level, you can also find three raccoons trapped in cages. Freeing them may grant you some good karma later on!
Run, jump, fly, and wall kick your way to the exits of each level! Louise has a variety of moves she can use to
her advantage, so make sure you learn them all!

SAGEttlePowerups.png

Normal Louise

LouisePr.png

Louise, Louise, just normal old Louise! She's got 3 health and her trusty orange safety helmet!

Magic Louise

Magic Louise.png

Louise has herself a magic wand, and she can now fire magic missiles at enemies to blast through them like nothing!

SS1.png

SS2.png
SS3.png

Here's a Google Drive download link in case the download from this website does not work properly:
Reactions: Birutath

Latest reviews

This was great! It felt like 3D Mario in 2D. Very good physics and level design. I also appreciated the voice acting and the memes in the zip file
Reactions: Super Squidoodle
The sprite work is out of this world levels of charming. level design solid and nice ost. looking forward on this one
Reactions: Super Squidoodle

Comments

This was a cute platformer I tried out cause I liked the art style and pacing of it. I've streamed it and replayed it earlier and felt like sharing thoughts I think might help improve it. I'm writing a lot to get my thoughts across, so don't take it like there was a huge problem with it, if I didn't like it I wouldn't have played it twice let alone write up stuff:
  1. The first bit with the rolling thing is weird. I don't know why they have a little divot right in front of it, you lose speed too fast when you start rolling, and the ramp messes with your speed. I would honestly get rid of small divot. I'd also let you roll along the ground longer.
  2. Part of the ramp issue is she doesn't stick to the ramp as she's running up it and it flattens out. She'll end up rising above it a bit, which means you can't jump until you jump the ground, and holding down to roll will just cancel her and drop her down.
  3. The ramp thing gets bad with some of the middle of level one's platforming cause of that, where I'll fuck up a jump cause oops, wasn't on the ground as I was running up the ramp. Having some kind of collision_point or single pixel object, directly beneath her, that pulls the player object straight to the ground should help with that.
  4. Wall jumping has the usual problem I don't like in games that do it, it's easy for me to start holding towards the direction I want to go before hitting jump, causing me to fall off, but you also fall off if you let go of holding towards the wall. It's kind of awkward for me, and I'd prefer to at least stick to the wall unless I jump off or hold away from it for like 10-30 frames, to give players buffer room. I can't think of any time you'd want to fall off from the side of a wall instantly after pushing into it.
  5. I think the acceleration rate should be bumped up a bit more when holding the run button, it feels like I need a lot more land to start building up real speed which again makes some of the platforming bits on smaller platforms a bit of a pain if I stop at all, didn't have enough speed going into it, hit a block, etc.
  6. She carries acceleration from other objects, which might be neat but a lot of the time it does throw off my platforming. I'm not sure if this really needs to address though, if the rate you accelerate was bumped up more so I could respond to that stuff.
  7. The moving platforms should really move along a global timer instead of separately, dying a few times on stage 2 I noticed they would be out of sync or in different orders than I'd expect, making jumps that were fine in one run be a big hassle the next one.
  8. The level design is decent; there's variations in the direction you're going and it makes use of the core platforming bits. The raccoons feel nicely hidden and rewarding to get to. What I think it could use are more sections with variable routes or choices on going through it (example: going along roofs with enemies versus lower to the ground with more focus on platforming, which would both funnel into a linear spot). Or even something closer to early mario levels where you have a platform you can jump on alongside the ground. I think that would make it more fun to replay and explore around.
  9. The magic hat projectile only attacking enemies makes it kinda uninteresting. I keep shooting at blocks and trashcans but nothing happens, I think doing that would at least give it another function, one you could maybe work into later puzzles (having to carry it to a wall of destructible blocks to destroy with, to reach some gems/shortcut/raccoon). Or maybe letting you charge the spell projectile so it could go through multiple enemies/blocks. Another aesthetic touch would be if hitting enemies would turn them into white doves that fly away, to fit the magician theme.
  10. Oh! I almost forgot about enemies and invincibility timer: I kept taking hits cause I would run into an enemy, jump up to take them out, but then go through and the timer wears off and I take another hit. I think you should separate the player's jumping on enemy collision to be it's own thing that still works even during invincibility frames.
  11. Lastly, I'd prefer options on changing the window size, at least toggling to windowed mode with F4. I wasn't able to see my chat while streaming it.
I do hope to see more levels and for this to continue, it's pretty polished so far and I think a lot of this stuff would make the moment-to-moment gameplay more enjoyable.

This was a cute platformer I tried out cause I liked the art style and pacing of it. I've streamed it and replayed it earlier and felt like sharing thoughts I think might help improve it. I'm writing a lot to get my thoughts across, so don't take it like there was a huge problem with it, if I didn't like it I wouldn't have played it twice let alone write up stuff:
  1. The first bit with the rolling thing is weird. I don't know why they have a little divot right in front of it, you lose speed too fast when you start rolling, and the ramp messes with your speed. I would honestly get rid of small divot. I'd also let you roll along the ground longer.
  2. Part of the ramp issue is she doesn't stick to the ramp as she's running up it and it flattens out. She'll end up rising above it a bit, which means you can't jump until you jump the ground, and holding down to roll will just cancel her and drop her down.
  3. The ramp thing gets bad with some of the middle of level one's platforming cause of that, where I'll fuck up a jump cause oops, wasn't on the ground as I was running up the ramp. Having some kind of collision_point or single pixel object, directly beneath her, that pulls the player object straight to the ground should help with that.
  4. Wall jumping has the usual problem I don't like in games that do it, it's easy for me to start holding towards the direction I want to go before hitting jump, causing me to fall off, but you also fall off if you let go of holding towards the wall. It's kind of awkward for me, and I'd prefer to at least stick to the wall unless I jump off or hold away from it for like 10-30 frames, to give players buffer room. I can't think of any time you'd want to fall off from the side of a wall instantly after pushing into it.
  5. I think the acceleration rate should be bumped up a bit more when holding the run button, it feels like I need a lot more land to start building up real speed which again makes some of the platforming bits on smaller platforms a bit of a pain if I stop at all, didn't have enough speed going into it, hit a block, etc.
  6. She carries acceleration from other objects, which might be neat but a lot of the time it does throw off my platforming. I'm not sure if this really needs to address though, if the rate you accelerate was bumped up more so I could respond to that stuff.
  7. The moving platforms should really move along a global timer instead of separately, dying a few times on stage 2 I noticed they would be out of sync or in different orders than I'd expect, making jumps that were fine in one run be a big hassle the next one.
  8. The level design is decent; there's variations in the direction you're going and it makes use of the core platforming bits. The raccoons feel nicely hidden and rewarding to get to. What I think it could use are more sections with variable routes or choices on going through it (example: going along roofs with enemies versus lower to the ground with more focus on platforming, which would both funnel into a linear spot). Or even something closer to early mario levels where you have a platform you can jump on alongside the ground. I think that would make it more fun to replay and explore around.
  9. The magic hat projectile only attacking enemies makes it kinda uninteresting. I keep shooting at blocks and trashcans but nothing happens, I think doing that would at least give it another function, one you could maybe work into later puzzles (having to carry it to a wall of destructible blocks to destroy with, to reach some gems/shortcut/raccoon). Or maybe letting you charge the spell projectile so it could go through multiple enemies/blocks. Another aesthetic touch would be if hitting enemies would turn them into white doves that fly away, to fit the magician theme.
  10. Oh! I almost forgot about enemies and invincibility timer: I kept taking hits cause I would run into an enemy, jump up to take them out, but then go through and the timer wears off and I take another hit. I think you should separate the player's jumping on enemy collision to be it's own thing that still works even during invincibility frames.
  11. Lastly, I'd prefer options on changing the window size, at least toggling to windowed mode with F4. I wasn't able to see my chat while streaming it.
I do hope to see more levels and for this to continue, it's pretty polished so far and I think a lot of this stuff would make the moment-to-moment gameplay more enjoyable.
Thank you for the criticism! This was really construct, and I like a lot of the ideas you've given (such as charging the magic wand, lowering P-Speed requirements, ect). We definitely also wanna give a lot more accessibility options later on that should help with window sizing. We're glad you enjoyed the game, we'll take these points into account, and are excited to show off more of Louise later down the line! Again, thank you!

When I saw this game in the SAGE 2022 trailer, it was the first game that really caught my eye and made me think "I NEED to play this". After playing it, I think this game has the potential to be great but needs a lot of polish in several key areas.

The core moveset is great on paper; I love how it's a sort of in-between of the moveset of Mario and Wario Land games. The problem I have with it is that it's very hard to actually keep up the momentum it lets you build; actions that you'd think would help you keep up the momentum like rolling and wall-jumping instead grind you to a halt. As a result it's hard to chain actions together and it makes the movement feel awkward. You also don't get very much air control at all, which is most noticable if you try to correct yourself after a wall-jump.

I think the level design also doesn't complement it well; it doesn't give you much opportunity to build up or use the momentum well, and quite a few of the setups end up highlighting the flaws of the gamefeel. Overall the level design feels sloppy at points.

One of the biggest issues I have with this game is the sound design; there's a ton of actions and events that feel like they should have sound effects but don't, there's a lot of sfxr sounds that feel like placeholders alongside the less chiptune-sounding SFX, and the music is all over the place (what on earth is that death jingle?) and doesn't loop properly.

Some minor things: I think the intro cutscene could benefit from having some kind of subtitles, and Tunel's first lines have some slight background noise. When respawning from a checkpoint you can move outside the spotlight before you're even visible.

I really hope I'm not coming across as mean or discouraging, I think this game has a ton of charm and I want to see it live up to that and be the best it can be.

A charming little thing. Looking forward to more.

If I can make a suggestion though, an option to zoom in would be nice. Maybe it's because I have my PC connected to a television, or maybe it's just my eyesight as I get older, but Louise and all the other sprites seem a bit... small. If I could just zoom in to make it all a bit larger, that would be lovely.

When I saw this game in the SAGE 2022 trailer, it was the first game that really caught my eye and made me think "I NEED to play this". After playing it, I think this game has the potential to be great but needs a lot of polish in several key areas.

The core moveset is great on paper; I love how it's a sort of in-between of the moveset of Mario and Wario Land games. The problem I have with it is that it's very hard to actually keep up the momentum it lets you build; actions that you'd think would help you keep up the momentum like rolling and wall-jumping instead grind you to a halt. As a result it's hard to chain actions together and it makes the movement feel awkward. You also don't get very much air control at all, which is most noticable if you try to correct yourself after a wall-jump.

I think the level design also doesn't complement it well; it doesn't give you much opportunity to build up or use the momentum well, and quite a few of the setups end up highlighting the flaws of the gamefeel. Overall the level design feels sloppy at points.

One of the biggest issues I have with this game is the sound design; there's a ton of actions and events that feel like they should have sound effects but don't, there's a lot of sfxr sounds that feel like placeholders alongside the less chiptune-sounding SFX, and the music is all over the place (what on earth is that death jingle?) and doesn't loop properly.

Some minor things: I think the intro cutscene could benefit from having some kind of subtitles, and Tunel's first lines have some slight background noise. When respawning from a checkpoint you can move outside the spotlight before you're even visible.

I really hope I'm not coming across as mean or discouraging, I think this game has a ton of charm and I want to see it live up to that and be the best it can be.
Don't think of it as discouraging at all, I love when people give this sort of criticism! Thank you for trying our game out, and we'll try our best to apply these and many others' thoughts when developing the game!

Fun demo, I can see both the Mario and Wario influence. I played on classic mode, as I prefer being punished for dying too many times. However, I think the timer in classic mode is a bit too stringent. It felt like I had no time at all to really explore or try going back for secrets I missed, at least on a single life. Timers in old platformers usually gave you wiggle room for messing up and didn't expect you to speed through the level, unless the entire point of the level was to speed through with a small time limit. This one felt more like it expected me to go through as quick as possible if I didn't plan on dying at all. But then the timer was no issue if I died halfway through, as it would completely reset and give me way more time to beat the stage. In my opinion, a stage timer should give a comfortable amount of time to beat the stage on a single life, only becoming a concern if the player dilly-dallies a lot. It isn't fun to feel rushed on every single level.

Item information

Added by
Super Squidoodle
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Super Squidoodle