don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Complete Sonic McOrigins

General Information

Sans titre.png

"They probably eat McDonald's® hamburgers, I suppose? And I think they will get a complete line-up of Happy Meal® premiums." - Yuji Naka when asked what Sonic characters eat

It's been a while since Sonic's last been that present in popular culture, and I think I only fully realized that fact upon seeing the new McDonald's toys planned for the Sonic 2 movie.

I figured I'd play a little part in preservation/history as a result, by digitizing my collection of old McD Sonic LCD toys.
Now you too can play cheap Sonic Game&Watch knockoffs, even if you weren't old enough back when those came out in 2003. (oh god it's been 19 years)

mcd.png

Sonic McOrigins is a full-featured museum/simulator program, allowing you to visualize hi-res photos of the games from every angle (even regional variants/recolors!), see the original instruction manuals, and of course play the games.
Capture d’écran 2022-08-16 à 00.24.19.png

17 simulated games from 2003 to 2005

From the first 3D-molded games all the way to the complex (and not that fun to play) Knuckles Treasure Hunt, this release features most of the released McDonald's tie-in games.

The only missing games are the ones that were not released in Europe and that I was unable to import for cheap, which are:
- Amy & Rouge Volleyball
- Shadow Hockey (UPDATE: bought it!)
- Shadow Basketball (UPDATE: bought it!)

Windows, Linux and macOS versions

If the SAGE showcase links don't work, you can also grab the v1 release here:
https://github.com/Difegue/LCDonald/releases/tag/1.1.0

Older computers might have trouble playing the games at a decent framerate due to the relatively high resolution of the photos; I recommend playing using "Closeup" mode if that is the case for you.

Windows PSA: This release will only work on Windows 10 and up due to the UI library used for the time being. 🙇

Mac PSA: This is my first time releasing a macOS app without a certificate signature (those things cost money!), so it's likely Gatekeeper will yell at you if you try to open it. If that happens, right-clicking the .app to open it should allow you to launch the game regardless.
v1.1 is now signed and notarized! You should be able to open it normally.

Fully open-source code

The entire code of the game can be found on GitHub:

I'm happily welcoming external contributions!
There are still some missing games, and hi-res manual scans would be most appreciated.

Feel free to reach out if you're interested!

Latest reviews

It's such a cool idea but please make it complete. Having something like this but completed with all of the McDonalds Sonic Games would be a 10/10!
Difegue
Difegue
stay tuned for sage 2023!
Reactions: Dreed
please add shadow basketball i beg you
TAILS SOCCAR
SONIC SKAETBOARD
ROGUE AND EMY TENNIS
CREAM PUFF FLOWER CATCH
SHADOW BASKETBALL
KNUCKLES BASEBALL

Comments

For some reason this doesn't even launch for me, no error message, nothing.
If it helps, I'm using Windows 8.1

For some reason this doesn't even launch for me, no error message, nothing.
If it helps, I'm using Windows 8.1
I believe the library I used for the UI isn't compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1, sorry!
It might be an easy fix but I don't have a 8.1 install on hand to try things out with. 😓

I believe the library I used for the UI isn't compatible with Windows 7/8/8.1, sorry!
It might be an easy fix but I don't have a 8.1 install on hand to try things out with. 😓
Oh well that's a shame, thanks for replying!

THIS IS RIDICULOUSLY COOL. I remember I had Shadow grinder as a kid, I played it so much it eventually stopped working lol. I WAS 4 and had no real games so it makes sense. The fact you didn't just recreate the games but actually photographed the front and back AND the instructions, oh my god dude.

Do you plan on adding the remaining games if you happen to get your hands on them?
Yes! Although if someone else happens to have them and submits hi-res photos of his own to the Github repo, that'd also work!
I'm also looking for better scans for most of the instructions, so if anyone still has some of those laying around that'd be incredibly helpful.

I don't plan on touching this project for a little while after SAGE, but if I get the missing games I'll eventually get to adding them in + a few other niceties like touch controls.

While the games themselves may not be all that great, this is super cool from an archival standpoint, and I hope you eventually are able to add the missing ones.

This is extremely cool; I think LCD games in general have a bad reputation, but they helped many children pass the time when nothing else was around. I will look and see if I have any of the missing ones, and would happily send them your way if I find them. Also, I think it would be incredible if this could eventually be expanded into a full Sonic LCD collection. There's of course the Tiger Sonic games (a couple of which are already dumped), but there's also the Tiger Sonic Watch, and the really cool Tiger Sonic Adventure mini LCD arcade cabinet. I don't want to be presumptuous or put more work on your plate, but if people were to donate these to you, would you be willing to work on such a project?

This is extremely cool; I think LCD games in general have a bad reputation, but they helped many children pass the time when nothing else was around. I will look and see if I have any of the missing ones, and would happily send them your way if I find them. Also, I think it would be incredible if this could eventually be expanded into a full Sonic LCD collection. There's of course the Tiger Sonic games (a couple of which are already dumped), but there's also the Tiger Sonic Watch, and the really cool Tiger Sonic Adventure mini LCD arcade cabinet. I don't want to be presumptuous or put more work on your plate, but if people were to donate these to you, would you be willing to work on such a project?
As far as the Tiger Electronics games go, I'd rather leave it up to the MAME guys, since those games run on known microcontrollers and can probably be properly emulated by people who know what they're doing; All the games here are just recreated simulations and far from being 100% accurate. 🥹

The LCDonald engine could probably handle those games though (except that last one which has an actual screen instead of static elements), so never say never I guess 😅

As far as the Tiger Electronics games go, I'd rather leave it up to the MAME guys, since those games run on known microcontrollers and can probably be properly emulated by people who know what they're doing; All the games here are just recreated simulations and far from being 100% accurate. 🥹

The LCDonald engine could probably handle those games though (except that last one which has an actual screen instead of static elements), so never say never I guess 😅
You could modify the LCDonald engene to support the Tiger SA1 cabinet.

This is so awesome! I hope one day Difegue makes the same but with the mini consoles of Crash and Spyro of Mcdonalds back in 2005

Item information

Added by
Difegue
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.60 star(s) 5 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Difegue