don't click here

Sonic Momentum (Alpha Release)

General Information

ABOUT:
Sonic Momentum is a fan-game aimed to inject new ideas into the existing 2D Sonic franchise and create a new, fun, and interactive way to play. This demo (although short) is meant to present these base ideas to further expand upon them in the future. Currently, there is no story, multiple acts, or progression system but will be worked on in future updates. Please be patient!

MOVE LIST:
(By default keys a mapped to Z, X, ENTER, F, and ARROW Keys. This can be changed in the settings menu)

LOOK-UP: UP BUTTON

CROUCH: DOWN BUTTON
SPINDASH: DOWN + HOLD JUMP BUTTON
ROLL: (TAP THE ACTION or DOWN BUTTON WHILE RUNNING) OR (HOLDING DOWN, ACTION, OR JUMP BUTTON BEFORE LANDING DURING AN AERIAL DASH)
ROLL OUT: TAP THE ACTION BUTTON WHILE ROLLING
JUMP: JUMP BUTTON

AERIAL DASH: JUMP BUTTON WHEN IN THE AIR
AERIAL STOMP: DOWN + JUMP BUTTON WHEN IN THE AIR
DOUBLE JUMP: TAP ACTION BUTTON WHEN IN THE AIR
REV-UP: HOLD ACTION BUTTON WHEN IN THE AIR
REV-UP DASH/SHIELD DASH: RELEASE ACTION BUTTON AFTER INDICATION NOISE
HOMING ATTACK: HOLD ACTION BUTTON IN THE AIR WITHOUT RELEASE NEAR AN ENEMY
RAILSWITCH: TAP ACTION BUTTON WHILE GRINDING

DISCLAIMER:
There are tentative balance changes that can occur, and many glitches can be found in this very early demo. However, Sonic here is close to the final product. This game isn't as simple as typical Sonic games there is a skill curve that eases the more you play. So give it multiple goes before throwing in the towel!

WHATS NEW:

Completely overhauled move-set for all the Sonic characters with new revamped sprites and animation!

Diversified ranking system that includes components from beat-em-up, exploration, and platforming gameplay.

Completely new graphical & sound engine to enhance 2D environments (includes lighting, vfx, etc.)

Overhauled shields & chao to equip, buff, and change the way you play to suit your own unique playstyle.

Custom and sleek UI that presents Advance & Rush's style in a new way.

REFERENCES:

Many ideas were taken from the Advance - Rush handheld era. And like Sonic Mania ,where it was celebration of the genesis titles, Sonic Momentum is a celebration of these other titles. You view the full video of all the references with the video below.

CONCEPT ART PIECES FOR FUTURE UPDATES

CONCEPT VIDEOS FOR FUTURE UPDATES

Latest reviews

First off this game is visually stunning. I love how Sonic & co move around, the sound design from destroying robots and other bits of flair like the FX makes the game all the more satisfying to play! Levels all look fantastic too, the rework on them was hard work paid off imo and the music choices for these levels are really great too!

Gameplay wise I thoroughly enjoy a lot of aspects to it, I like especially for Sonic you focused on giving him a lot of moves that focus on maintaining momentum. I'm not so great with it atm but I'm sure in time I'll grow to improve on it and love it even more.

However, there was one aspect that I think the game can improve on a bit and I think would be really nice is to make the characters feel... less heavy? For example mid air control feels very slow after performing a jump, bouncing off of enemies or launching off a spring (especially horizontal) I can never seem to grasp nor feel comfortable with my jumps because of this.

I'm sure on perfect runs, when I know when to jump or jump off enemies this wouldn't be an issue, but this does make recovering from mistakes feel more punishing than it should be.

Gaining momentum/speed can often at times feel very strict. I get that you want to make sure players are staying on foot whilst going up hill and rolling down hill to gain speed, which by all means is completely fine! But even on small hoops, It's feels awkward to suddenly slowed down or go to a completely stop all because the game didn't want me in ball form for that specific part. Again it's no issue on paper but I think there should be more wiggle room when maintaining momentum.

And just as a tiny nitpick, but I think characters should be able to move left and right whilst spinning on grind rails. Often at times I found myself having to move back and forth constantly whilst grinding just be in the proximity of the platforms above.

That's all I have though! I do hope you take these ideas into consideration as I think it would make playing this for beginners a much smoother experience imo and thus encourage them more to play more and improve on it! But this game is off to a great start and I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what else you make of this!
T
Tailskid23
How did you play it if I can't dues to an error?!?
I have seen videos of this game and it looks really fun but I have a Chromebook so I cannot play it, so
can you please make a .APK of Sonic Momentum so people with Chromebooks can play it?
This gets a while to get used to but its pretty great. Would you awesome is Blaze was added since you know. Lol
T
Tailskid23
But the download link is not updated...
Not only that but i can't run because of a error.
Please fix this!
The error:

D3DXCompile failed - result

at gml_Object_objMainMenu_Draw_0
############################################################################################

Comments

An excellent show of graphics, level design and gameplay! I have some critic about Sonic gameplay, and the biggest critic goes to Spin Dash: I'd say it's too weak, I didn't see any reason during gameplay you couldn't load it, it gives a feeling that it's useless, plus it loses ridiculously easy speed. I strongly recommend incrementing the Spin Dash charge. This lack of momentum messed up me. I also feel the homing attack being on the second button was a problem, you end up getting confused by having an air dash on the jump button, it's confusing. For now, that's it! I liked how a simple short demo managed me 30 minutes of exploration.

An excellent show of graphics, level design and gameplay! I have some critic about Sonic gameplay, and the biggest critic goes to Spin Dash: I'd say it's too weak, I didn't see any reason during gameplay you couldn't load it, it gives a feeling that it's useless, plus it loses ridiculously easy speed. I strongly recommend incrementing the Spin Dash charge. This lack of momentum messed up me. I also feel the homing attack being on the second button was a problem, you end up getting confused by having an air dash on the jump button, it's confusing. For now, that's it! I liked how a simple short demo managed me 30 minutes of exploration.
When it comes to the spindash you don't wanna charge it. You wanna hold it.

Words cannot explain how amazing this is to me. There is so much careful attention to detail in the design philosophy for this. It feels like a good direction for Sonic to take.

I gave up after struggling with the tutorial for ten minutes. The text boxes kill any movement I was doing, and while I read them the enemies respawn, so I couldn't find any way to get across the series of dashing/homing attacking flying enemies without the text boxes always breaking my moves even the few times I got the frame-perfect timing right. This reminds me a lot of Boost Sonic in that I'm sure if I put in a whole lot of study and practice, I could figure out how to play this and have a great time doing so, and I have nothing but respect for people who can play this successfully, but I think I like the Sonic who needs arrow keys and one jump key and nothing else.

I gave up after struggling with the tutorial for ten minutes. The text boxes kill any movement I was doing, and while I read them the enemies respawn, so I couldn't find any way to get across the series of dashing/homing attacking flying enemies without the text boxes always breaking my moves even the few times I got the frame-perfect timing right. This reminds me a lot of Boost Sonic in that I'm sure if I put in a whole lot of study and practice, I could figure out how to play this and have a great time doing so, and I have nothing but respect for people who can play this successfully, but I think I like the Sonic who needs arrow keys and one jump key and nothing else.
Wait..... THERE'S A TUTORIAL?!?!?!?!?!??!!

This gets a while to get used to but its pretty great. Would you awesome is Blaze was added since you know. Lol

I understand this is a game with a high skill curve, so to give it the most fair opportunity I could, I grinded out for time-based S ranks for the two levels available. Initially the controls felt very unintuitive and the tutorial (while clearly having a high amount of effort put into its presentation) felt too long. It sits easier with me now that I've spent more time with it, but I've got some suggestions I think would help in lowering the barrier to entry:
  • Controls
    • I wanted to be able to uncurl from a ball by pressing up, as opposed to the action button. This is to mirror the action of pressing down to curl up.
    • I'd like to be able to initiate the peel-out with up and the action button pressed simultaneously, in addition to being able to initiate the peel-out with down and the action button pressed simultaneously. It's closer to the original mapping of the peel-out.
    • I would prefer the double jump be assigned to the jump button in mid-air, and the aerial stomp and forward air-dash be moved to the action button.
    • I think the spin dash is so weak the peel-out generally invalidates it as an option. I understand the application of the spin dash when attacking from a standstill, but I think those situations are so few and far between it would be better to ditch the peel-out and give the spin dash the same max speed as the peel-out.
  • Gimmicks
    • I wanted to be able to swap between upper and lower positions on the rail by pressing up and down respectively, as opposed to the action button.
    • When encountering the fish circles, I would prefer if you were sent in the direction of the tangent of the circle at your position when exiting the circle, as opposed to the normal of the circle at your position when exiting the circle.
      fish_circle_one.png
      |
      fish_circle_two.png
    • I thought choosing a direction when launching yourself off of a rail alternated too quickly between being launched up or down.
    • In regards to the crystal light switches toggling moving platforms, I wanted to be able to reset the cycle of the platform by hitting the crystal light switches again to avoid having to wait for another cycle to board the platform.
      • I'd prefer there not be any waiting for cycles at all. Most of the game does a really good job of tying your speed to the skill level of your movement. I understand most moving platforms are on lower routes, but even as "punishment" they're a little slow. This is a farther out there suggestion but maybe the light crystals could activate a tractor beam of light that draws the player upwards (without restricting their horizontal movement), instead of spawning a platform to wait for.
  • Presentation
    • I thought the dark portions of levels with small illuminated sections were too dark, and reduced visibility too much. I like the effect visually, but I think it needs to be toned down.
    • I'd like to be able to skip to the end of textboxes during the tutorial. I would also like to be able to cancel a text box by moving away from it.
    • I thought the pose for charging the peel-out was a bit awkward because of how much Sonic's body is oriented facing the opposite direction of where he is facing and will travel after initiating the peel-out. I think something closer to the current pose when crouching would work better for charging the peel-out.
The aesthetics of the menus are extremely well done. Everything is stylish and intuitive.
I also really enjoyed the color palettes and parallax backgrounds. I know a lot of these assets are reused assets from the Rush trilogy, but you work them into a very pleasing composition throughout all the stages and their variations.
The separation of S-ranks into ring/score based and time based is a very elegant choice for incentivizing players with different goals to engage with the scoring system.

Last edited:
This might be an embarrassing question for me, but how do I change levels? When I press right, it still keeps me at tutorial 1.

Item information

Added by
Mr. Bane
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.20 star(s) 10 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item