don't click here

BuKnight: The Order of The Golden Crest (v0.6)

General Information

Summary:
The village of Carrottia is under attack from the wolves (again)... and they have company. It's up to the rookie Bonnie to save the day from this canine menace. Jump, slash and spin through the various tracks to fight back and recover the parts of Carrottia's sacred treasure: The Golden Crest.

BuKnight is a fun and speedy action-platformer mixing the late-90s era mascot fever with the mid-2000s indie game craze. Use your up- and downsmash attacks, as well as the special swirling move to hurl pain at your enemies or to change your momentum and dodge their attacks as your zoom past or towards them.

Stay tuned and enjoy!
screenshot_4.png

Features:
  • Cute 2D animals in a medieval setting
  • Breakneck speed platforming
  • Slashy-swirly action
  • A password/cheat system
  • Two areas with two stages.
  • Completely inauthentic retro sound and visuals
screenshot_1.png

Changes from last year:
  • New game engine: ENIGMA.
  • New map layouts.
  • New enemies.
  • Retouched physics and particle system.
  • Prayer: you can use it to restore health at checkpoints by pressing up.
  • An AI framework for enemies and for allies fighting alongside you.

Need more?
~~ Website ~~
RSS feed ~ Toyhouse
The game is also available on Itch or GameJolt.

Latest reviews

Plenty of content for a Demo, and a good play for a half hour
clearly a labor of love with lots of effort put into the spritework and expression of characters
the floaty gameplay is something you have to get used to but gives the game a lot of freedom and vertical movement options
would be lying if I said I didnt have a few deaths where I grumbled a bit, but the saves are fairly well spaced so you dont spend too much time getting back to where you were
the little spiky box things damaged me way more than im comfortable admitting to lol
Both bosses took me a few attempts, after the first boss I started actively collecting as many lives as possible and dont regret that choice, having them respawn back definitely makes getting them feel a lot less of a priority and makes losing all your lives not seem as difficult
first boss I got the hang of for the most part but was constantly getting hit by the shotgun like attack, it seemed to be more luck based if I
feel like on the attempt I actually beat the second boss it was a lot less aggressive than the previous times, mightve just gotten lucky though with hitting her immediately
im not too fond of the first stages music loop, but the rest of the music is pretty great and sets the bar pretty high for it
having the extra characters to assist you in the 2nd act definitely makes the game feel more alive, like its something you're participating in as it happens and not just watching from a distance
id give it 4 and a half stars if it was available, but the few issues I had often felt more like its my shoddy playing over the games fault.
Reactions: The-Syreth-Clan
T
The-Syreth-Clan
Thank you very much. :emoji_blue_heart:

Comments

This feels too hard to be a first level. Although my movement is super powerful, allowing me to skip huge sections of the level whenever there's not a roof overhead, my combat abilities feel outstripped by the most basic enemies. They can shoot super fast bullets, often at any angle, while I have to get way up close to do any damage... and by the time I get close, I've probably been shot. Skipping as many enemies as possible seemed like the best way to get through the levels to the boss, who, similarly, can hurt me at any point on the screen at any time at lightning speed. If there's any telegraphing it's subtle enough I haven't noticed it. The windmills and bells are cool features, though, and it's interesting how the maximum ammo seems to be tied to the health bar, and it's nice to have a game where spikes don't instantly kill you, and generally I approve of games having rabbits in them.

This feels too hard to be a first level. Although my movement is super powerful, allowing me to skip huge sections of the level whenever there's not a roof overhead, my combat abilities feel outstripped by the most basic enemies. They can shoot super fast bullets, often at any angle, while I have to get way up close to do any damage... and by the time I get close, I've probably been shot. Skipping as many enemies as possible seemed like the best way to get through the levels to the boss, who, similarly, can hurt me at any point on the screen at any time at lightning speed. If there's any telegraphing it's subtle enough I haven't noticed it. The windmills and bells are cool features, though, and it's interesting how the maximum ammo seems to be tied to the health bar, and it's nice to have a game where spikes don't instantly kill you, and generally I approve of games having rabbits in them.
The whirling attack deals the most damage, has the widest range and makes you invincible for the time being, so use it wherever you can to grace through bullets. It's also encouraged to fight off enemies rather than fleeing deeper into the stage as they drop both carrots and magic crystals and most full-restore crystals or checkpoints you won't see flying through the level. Unfortunately I cannot do anymore to address this.
I agree it can be difficult to get the patterns down at first but once you get a feeling for it, dodging and weaving around projectiles and getting the drops on enemies will be a cakewalk.

Thank you for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

Item information

Added by
The-Syreth-Clan
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item