don't click here

General Information

Sonic EXP is a fan game made for fun and experience! It is based on the Motobug engine, an engine I built entirely with HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript, which has been in development off-and-on since 2017. The game itself initially began last year to guide the development of both Motobug and the Motobug Studio level designer. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it, but I figured I'd show off what I have so far...

Please note that this game is still in development, and therefore the current state may not reflect the final game. Also, I am just one person, not an entire team...so manage your expectations accordingly! :emoji_sweat_smile:

You can play Sonic EXP in your browser on itch.io:

Desktop builds may be coming eventually...

vlcsnap-2021-08-20-16h33m16s680.png
vlcsnap-2021-08-20-16h33m30s919.png
vlcsnap-2021-08-20-16h32m13s310.png
vlcsnap-2021-08-20-16h32m58s629.png

Latest reviews

A really cool sonic fan game, the only thing that really sucks is it is too short. :(
B
Blue145
its a demo...

Comments

I think there were some good ideas here but poor execution due to some weird level design quirks and also seemingly quirks of the engine; notably the extreme momentum you get from coming out of water at a certain speed threshold. It felt off and I think something should be done about that. Also the level design was a bit on the rough side. The second stage didn't have any enemies in it at all and the platforming was not fun as it was constantly halted by weird round walls. The music was excellent though; really keeping up the tradition of sonic games having good music. In essence, I believe the game can be great, but it's not quite there. Keep up the good work though!

I think there were some good ideas here but poor execution due to some weird level design quirks and also seemingly quirks of the engine; notably the extreme momentum you get from coming out of water at a certain speed threshold. It felt off and I think something should be done about that. Also the level design was a bit on the rough side. The second stage didn't have any enemies in it at all and the platforming was not fun as it was constantly halted by weird round walls. The music was excellent though; really keeping up the tradition of sonic games having good music. In essence, I believe the game can be great, but it's not quite there. Keep up the good work though!
Thanks. I have been having quite the time figuring out how to do level design. Did the first level at least work well? I completely redesigned that one since last SAGE.

I am also considering rebuilding the engine in something like Godot.

Item information

Added by
Coderman64
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from Coderman64

Share this item