don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic FGX: Ultimate

General Information

DOWNLOAD HERE:
Sonic FGX: Ultimate by PVic - Game Jolt

DISCLAIMER
The purpose of this version is NOT to replace the original game, it is an alternative.
It is my interpretation of what FGX was trying to achieve and my attempt at modernizing it by taking multiple elements from the Sonic Adventure series. I highly recommended you also check out the original version of the game from 2008, which is available here.

Sonic FGX: Ultimate is a work-in-progress modification of the old fangame Sonic FGX made by Dekoldrick.

Made as a tribute to the original game, this modification brings to the table several modern features and solves multiple bugs and problems of the original game. Please bare in mind while playing it that it is a work-in-progress and does not represent the final product.

Along with the expected bug fixing and changing the game's FPS cap from 45 to 60, this also introduces changes to the bosses, making characters keep their momentum while doing their attacks and reimagining some of their movesets.

Also as one of the biggest game-changers, I decided to take certain things from my main project,
Dr. Robotnik's Badnik Quarrel, and introduce an online system to the game by using the GameMaker Server extension! This is something which makes this game have a lot more things to do, you can race your friends and strive to be on top of the online leaderboards!

NEW USER INTERFACE AND HUB WORLD

screenshot100.png

screenshot101.png

fgxtitlecard.GIF

screenshot102.png

3 PLAYABLE AND REWORKED ZONES

screenshot103.png

screenshot105.png

screenshot106.png

screenshot107.png

Reactions: Ice and xinconety

Latest reviews

this game is awesome cant wait for more characters

Comments

This is very technically impressive. There are a bunch of characters who must have necessitated importing a bunch of sprites and adding their various custom moves to a 360-degree engine, when even just working loops and such are impressive on their own. Nothing struck me as obviously a bug, and the presentation of the act beginnings/endings is very cool and stylish. Where this game loses me are the level layouts, which are almost pure hold-right-to-win. I held right and kept pressing jump and down pretty much at random, and that got me through almost every part of almost every level without my needing to pay attention to my surroundings longer than it took to enter a tube in the gray zone. I understand the Advance and Rush games were interested in fostering a sense of speed, but there must be room for more than this.

This is very technically impressive. There are a bunch of characters who must have necessitated importing a bunch of sprites and adding their various custom moves to a 360-degree engine, when even just working loops and such are impressive on their own. Nothing struck me as obviously a bug, and the presentation of the act beginnings/endings is very cool and stylish. Where this game loses me are the level layouts, which are almost pure hold-right-to-win. I held right and kept pressing jump and down pretty much at random, and that got me through almost every part of almost every level without my needing to pay attention to my surroundings longer than it took to enter a tube in the gray zone. I understand the Advance and Rush games were interested in fostering a sense of speed, but there must be room for more than this.
I must agree with you, these layouts, especially for the first few levels which you get to play in the demo, are a bit lacking when it comes to gimmicks and can pretty much be hold right to win. I've tried to remedy this problem by not only adding the red rings but also adding the leaderboard system which adds a higher skill ceiling for these levels, allowing for those who get invested have some form of challenge in the game. Sadly I do not plan on editing these level layouts as this would go against the purpose of this remastered version of the game, but you may find some enjoyment not only because of those added features but also on the bonus levels which will either be ported from older sonic games or have brand new layouts which hopefully will be better then the ones from the original FGX.

Feels almost like a 2D version of Sonic Battle R. I like the animations also. Frosty Valley also looks very comfy what with the cool winter's night vibes.

Excellent remastering you did here! The animations, menus, visual effects--all great!
Being able to expand your moveset by leveling up is cool too.

A few notes, though I'm not sure what you'll be able to adjust without detracting from the original project's vision:
- If it is possible to see a movelist sheet with what you unlocked, that would be appreciated. I forget what I can do when I return after a while
- When you bounce off an enemy, you kinda just drop to the floor, which makes platforming, or dealing with a group of enemies, more difficult to do. Is it possible to allow bouncing up after landing on a foe? Homing attacks do this already, but normal jumping doesn't it seems
- The easiest levels to play was the ice stages, mainly because the enemies were highlighted. Most enemies in the game are rather small, and blend into the background. May I ask if enemies could be made more visible if possible?
- The special stages are cool, and a nice challenge. I would like to mention that moving left and right is a bit finicky. I also ran into a bug in which if you fell off the platforms, the special stage ends, and you reload into the special ring in the main level, and start the special stage again

Once again, excited to see the full release of this project, and your future endeavors as well!
Cheers

Item information

Added by
PVic
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from PVic