don't click here

Sonic Cosmic Eternity [SAGE 2018 DEMO]

Overview

SAGE thumbnail.png

Sonic Cosmic Eternity is a 3D fan game that modernizes Adventure gameplay and incorporates new mechanics that take inspiration from the likes of Sonic Unleashed (Wii) and Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.

MOVES:
Peel-Out - Press and hold B to charge up a peel-out. This is less powerful than a Boost, but is useful for if you need speed quickly and can't or don't want to Boost.
Boost - Press the X button when ready to perform a Boost. Each boost takes 15 rings to execute, and lasts for 3 seconds. During this time Sonic instantly accelerates to his maximum speed and becomes invincible for a short period.
Dash Drift - Press and hold RT/LT while at top speed or higher to perform a Dash Drift. The direction corresponds with which trigger you hold, and you can speed up or slow down the camera's movement with the left stick. Once the camera is pointed in the right direction, release the trigger to instantly dash in that direction. Useful for getting around tight corners without losing speed.

The demo contains the first stage of the game, Sapphire Shores Zone.

Media

0.1.1 Patch Notes
  • Level design adjustments; More platforms have been added and other platforms have been extended to reduce cheap deaths
  • Camera bugs fixed; Sensitivity no longer defaults to 0, certain triggers now work
  • Peel-Out adjustments; Peel-out charges much faster, and Sonic now says "Ready!" when it is fully charged
  • Optimization; Quality settings have been adjusted and a few others have been added, the game should run much smoother now

Updates

Latest reviews

Amazing
Reactions: Shadonic
It's got great design and all but the game is really hard to play and for some reason i keep rail grinding on the floor
  1. You need to make sonic stick to the floor, it makes segments impossible without it.
  2. The part where you're travelling down from the top of the tower, the geometry stops Sonic's speed. You're unable to actually alter his movement, so it's inevitable without scripting or adding a wall. Same goes for loop-de-loops, annoying to fall off them.
  3. Beautiful graphics
  4. To-die-for theme and adventure style
  5. great drifting mechanic, though it needs a little more tweaking so you can feel like you have a little more control and predictability.

Also, take a page from Sonic Utopia and make it so when you move the analog or WASD keys, your peel-out changes position. It's irritating when you start a peel-out and you accidentally start it sideways.

T

Comments

Any chance of Linux or macOS builds please?
The next demo will have mac and linux support, the reason there aren't releases for this build is because mac and linux gamepad mappings are different than windows and I'd have to change how the Dash Drift is handled to accommodate for the different inputs.
That and I wouldn't have anything to test them on to make sure everything works fine.

I'm having an issue with the game where the camera doesn't work at all, and Sonic is constantly walking left, I am using an XBox One Controller on Windows 10, but the problem persists even without the controller plugged in.

I'm having an issue with the game where the camera doesn't work at all, and Sonic is constantly walking left, I am using an XBox One Controller on Windows 10, but the problem persists even without the controller plugged in.
I don't know about the walking left issue but the camera just needs the sensitivity turned up in the pause menu because for some reason it defaults to 0.

So, I have some pretty mixed opinions on this. Let me start with the good, I absolutely love the "Emerald Coast Re-imagined" idea going on, and the way the level is mixed up, with the ending being a combination of the end of EC and the start. Theme-wise, this was amazing.

Unfortunately, I found a lot of issues with the gameplay. A ton of things require knowing in advance what to do, such as right after the whale section, if you don't turn the camera around and stop you fall to your death. A wall or something to stop Sonic from falling off would help, as well as automatically turning the camera. There's also the vertical red boost rings just a little bit after that, if you don't know to be holding forward right away, you miss the second one, just moving that second ring closer would fix that.

I also found a few spots where things just don't work. At the very start, there's some narrow bridges with dashpads, but you can't really go fast here, because sonic ramps and misses some of the dashpads, the section just doesn't work super well. This kind of thing should probably just be scripted in some form. There's also a wallrunning section just before the big loop before the whale section, where if you fall and then homing attack the springs, you often get flinged to your death, Sonic 06 style.

And, I found the loop before the whale section really hard to get around, it spawns you on the loop itself, but to get around it you have to backtrack a bit and then run back, Sonic 1 style. Perhaps move the checkpoint to where just holding forward gives you enough speed?

I'm not gonna hold it against the game for the camera control being disabled by default, but perhaps you could at least add an in-game notice to turn it on?

Again, I love the idea, I love the level's graphical design, but I don't love the actual gameplay. I see a lot of potential though, and I'd love to see this improve. Hopefully that was constructive, I really don't want to come off as bashing you.

So, I have some pretty mixed opinions on this. Let me start with the good, I absolutely love the "Emerald Coast Re-imagined" idea going on, and the way the level is mixed up, with the ending being a combination of the end of EC and the start. Theme-wise, this was amazing.

Unfortunately, I found a lot of issues with the gameplay. A ton of things require knowing in advance what to do, such as right after the whale section, if you don't turn the camera around and stop you fall to your death. A wall or something to stop Sonic from falling off would help, as well as automatically turning the camera. There's also the vertical red boost rings just a little bit after that, if you don't know to be holding forward right away, you miss the second one, just moving that second ring closer would fix that.

I also found a few spots where things just don't work. At the very start, there's some narrow bridges with dashpads, but you can't really go fast here, because sonic ramps and misses some of the dashpads, the section just doesn't work super well. This kind of thing should probably just be scripted in some form. There's also a wallrunning section just before the big loop before the whale section, where if you fall and then homing attack the springs, you often get flinged to your death, Sonic 06 style.

And, I found the loop before the whale section really hard to get around, it spawns you on the loop itself, but to get around it you have to backtrack a bit and then run back, Sonic 1 style. Perhaps move the checkpoint to where just holding forward gives you enough speed?

I'm not gonna hold it against the game for the camera control being disabled by default, but perhaps you could at least add an in-game notice to turn it on?

Again, I love the idea, I love the level's graphical design, but I don't love the actual gameplay. I see a lot of potential though, and I'd love to see this improve. Hopefully that was constructive, I really don't want to come off as bashing you.
For the loop before the whale, a fully charged peel-out should give you enough speed to make it through.
As for the other design criticisms, I'll keep them in mind for future adjustments

Also for the platforming bit after the whale, there's supposed to be camera triggers that automatically turn it around but for some reason they aren't working right. I'll have to look into that.

This video sums up most of the suggestions and bugs I found :

But here's the long version:

Alright, so after about a few hours of playing and trying to get a feel for things, I feel you've got a lot of your movement physics down pretty well. Momentum was very satisfying to build up on certain parts of this demo, which I hope that future level designs will take advantage of this. The visual presentation of this demo gets a solid 8 out of 10 from me. Sonic's custom model gives off a real "Adventurer" vibe, and I can't wait to see what other character designs you have planned. The visual effects that decorate the screen when you're boosting and when you're at high speeds really give an intense feeling, which only empowers this game more as a solid traditional Sonic game. The level itself looks fairly well as well, the colors and overall modelling are mostly fluid, and makes me want to just go out and explore it. The musical score selected for this particular stage also is very fitting.

What I would suggest is to make sure you have a good connection between your Sonic and your "World". You're going for Adventure/Unleashed, and while that is an interesting concept, meshing those two together is also a bit complex in it's own way. The Adventure games were more about scripted speed , platforming, and more vertically oriented stages. While the Unleashed games give off a more free sort of speed, platforming, and more horizontally oriented stages. Giving Adventure Sonic boost in his stages just leads to the level feeling very confined and clustered. It's almost feels as if you don't have enough room to run in. While removing the boost from Unleashed Sonic in his stages does the exact opposite: it makes the level feel really drawn out and empty. Instead of the happy medium , I suggest you draw more inspiration from the unleashed stages.

I am pumped to see what comes next, so keep up the good work!

A bit rough around the edges but a ton of fun! I like the new mechanics and the level design has a lot of exciting moments. My issues with the demo have already been covered in Maikito's video.

I love this game a lot! One question: In the Unity Input Manager what do I change for camera controls?

The game is completely unplayable for me due to control issues. No matter what I use (Keyboard & Mouse or Controller) and no matter what settings I tweak, the character keeps running in circles, preventing me from playing the game or even navigating the menus properly. I've been following your progress on YouTube and I am interested in seeing where this project goes but I am disappointed that I am unable to try it out for myself. I already dislike the Unity Input Manager to begin with, but I found that the input names were very confusing (there are multiple inputs with the exact same name). Do you have any suggestions on what to do?

Great presentation and fun to play, but the level design could be improved a little. I'd still love to see much more.

Item information

Added by
possqueen
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.40 star(s) 10 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from possqueen