don't click here

Unoriginal Space Shooter (Demo build)

Project Overview

Title.PNG

In the year 2XYZ
A Spaceship came out of nowhere and started to shoot at things only for one reason : Score.
Yes, it is indeed... An Unoriginal Space Shooter.

This Sonic Mania mod, made by both SuperSonic16 and I, aims to be a Sonic Mania mod that doesn't play nor feel like Mania at all, hence the old PC-Monochrome-like style used for the whole game.
You simply shoot things that comes at random and aim for the best score you can do !
Due to some technical limitation (at the moment), the A/Accept and Start button are removed, using other inputs do to the thing.​
Presenting the things
Ship.png
Ship n°4592.5 : A spaceship, of course, it doesn't look like the promotional work at all.
Spike.png
That Spiky thing : An obstacle... with spikes, it exists and the space is filled with them somehow.
Rock.png
Rocky :
A rock, a good ol' rocky rock, it exists.

Star.png
Random Star passing by :
A star that comes much faster than the rest, it won't hurt you, destroying it will give you 500 points, touching it will give you a temporary invincibility.

Controls
You can control your ship in all 4 directions by using the DPad (Analog stick won't work)
Y/ Super Transform button : the main button, allows you to pass the title screen, pass the gameover screen, shoot things and buy things.
X/ button : Allows you to move slower during gameplay, easier to dodge some stuff and to aim a bit better.
B/ Go back button : "Pause menu" in game, which also work as a shop (how convenient).

PauseMenu.PNG

Shop
You can buy things in the shop menu, accessed by the Pause button in gameplay
Life Up : If you have less than 4 lives, you can buy an extra life for 7000 Pts
Ship Speed Up : Will make your ship go faster for 500 Pts (Can be upgraded twice)
Bullet Speed Up : Will make your bullets travel the screen faster for 1500 Pts (Can be upgraded twice)
Piercing Bullets : Your bullets will be able to pierces Spikes and Stars for 4000 Pts (Won't work against Rocky)

Screenshots and media!

Logo1.PNG
Logo2.PNG
Title.PNG
Gameplay.PNG
WarningOverlay.PNG
PauseMenu.PNG
KnockKnock.PNG
Itsknuckles.PNG

Bonus Content

Knock Knock : By doing "Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up, Up, Up" on the title screen, you'll be able to play as Knuckles instead of Ship n°4592.5. (A confirmation sound and titlescreen change will indicate if you got it right)

Credits

• LJSTAR : Making the graphic assets, coding (basic movement, basic shooting, shop system, color change, overlay).
  • SuperSonic16 : Coding optimization, making basic things better, functions to spawn things randomly, custom collision system.

Special thanks :
CodenameGamma : Functions to spawn / despawn objects
Winterhell : Help with the score display
And several people for their criticism and support !

Latest reviews

Well my reaction to this being a mania mod wasn't enough to show how happy I am about this! This is a good start of something.... Stuff missing would be a boss but that's about it. I really liked this! And keep on going!
The sensation of ZX Spectrum game is outstanding.
Well then, this is different. I like this direction.

Gameplay: Definitely feels like a space shooter. A shallow and unoriginal one at that which I guess is the point. It's impressive that he managed to fit all of this into the title screen of the game, and even more impressive, is how well it plays despite the shallowness. Basically, shoot asteroids and space junk so you can get points to buy at the shop to buff and pimp out your ship to shoot more asteroid and space junk and that's about it. It plays well, simple enough to understand, what could go wrong?

Graphics: It most definitely nails the Apple II setting with the excessive amount of dithering, simple graphics, and 2 color palette. I would've totally believed that this was ACTUALLY on the Apple II (maybe make a text based version of it so we can really get the IBM PC up in this :V). It's totally simple, yet totally fine, and the fact that it changes color when your ship is dying is a really nice touch :ok_hand:.

Comments

Definitely one of the most creative mania mods I’ve seen. A must play for anyone who owns a PC copy!

Item information

Added by
LJSTAR
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.33 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in SAGE 2018 [Archive]

More from LJSTAR