don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Amy's Rascal Race

General Information

- - -Alert!- - -
Feb 5, 2023 Update: the windows version has been optimized and it pretty playable now, I really apologize to any windows users who had to wait all this time, I was sick for a season and just got well last month and started work recently, thanks to a buddy, RDB, from the panda3d forums, this version now works as well as it does. Now I am waiting on Audience feedback to confirm a couple of fixes before I move on to more fixes.

This is a small demo, which only features one level of the “BFFs of a lifetime” episode, my apologies I am not pleased how this turned out, I did not have enough time simply put, there is still missing animations, voices and a proper game over screen, I made a few bad programming choices too that left the game unoptimized and slow, I want to finish this if you give me the chance, anyway thanks for listening

A suggestion to anyone making a video about this, tweet me a link to the video through my twitter by @ me the link if you want me to collect feedback, or if you want to chat about the project, it could lead to a discussion about where to go forward in the project or explain some things, if it is a livestream, I will attempt to attend to live and talk directly in your chat if I can make it. Thanks

- - -General Information - - -
Amy’s Rascal Race is fan made spinoff starring Amy Rose! Join Amy as she is spirited away to a mysterious uncharted island by a mysterious gemstone. During her ride, her exposure to the gemstone grants her new ballerina twirling abilities! She is joined by a new foxy buddy where they together with their new ballerina abilities must traverse this island in this new silly 2.5 platformer!

Here you will find that ballerina twirling is not only pretty but deadly to your foes, you will also find that it can also help spin you far and wide and traverse great heights! twirl on walls and ceilings, or twirl off of walls and ramps! Twirl to solve problems and overcome challenges! You better get going then! you will need to twirl to the peak of the island to solve why you were called there!

- - - The Story- - -
One day Amy was using her tarot cards, until she hit a random combination of cards, through it’s magical energies she was able to summon the pink Logos (Low-Goss) Selenite, through her emotions the Logos Selenite conveyed her to ride on top of it and it grew to a size where she can hop on it and hug-ride it.

When she did just that, the selenite flew towards the ocean and started skimming it, after some time skimming through the ocean a strange island started to rise over the horizon, it was strange for Amy because the sky started to turn night, but it was not night time yet by far!

When the selenite reached land, it conveyed to her to get off as she did, another periwinkle logos selenite carrying a periwinkle fox girl landed, she was also hug-riding it then she got it, she introduced herself as “Petals The Fox” and Amy introduced herself as Amy, Petals then says she does not have any friends because she was different from all the other fox girls and asks Amy if she would like to be her first.

Amy says yes excitedly and she then says “I will take lead!” the two selenites leave toward the top of the island and Amy and Petals stare at the peak, a adventure starts!

- - -Features- - -
Finally it’s Amy’s Time to shine like the moon! in this 2.5 platformer that tries to nail the look (and some of the feel) of the Donkey Kong Country games, but with a ballerina twist!

* Go on a atmospheric trip with a new classic character, Petals The Kitsune or Pastel The Katsune! don’t let these charming little multi-tailed girls trick you, their is not as helpless as you think! as both each keep up with even Amy!

* Twirl on walls and ceilings, off of walls of ramps to overcome many hair rising challenges!

* Select from 5 different episodes! each with their own style of level transition and story, Meet many friends and foes in each whacky new adventure, all starring Amy Rose! As we see Amy bloom into the rose she was always meant to be in this silly mash-up of misadventures!

* Hidden within each episode are the seven Logos (Low-Goss) Selenites! awaiting the most daunting trackers! who knows what happens when you collect them all, are you up to the challenge? Maybe a gateway to a new adventure awaits!

- - -Controls- - -
Left and Right: Moves your character (or cursor) in those dirctions

Up: on selection and end screen, it's the confirmation key, in gameplay, your character attempts to move to the background if twirling, on the background it moves your character upward

Down: on the background, it moves your character downward.

S: switches out your current character with your partner

Space: makes your character jump, on the background, if in the air, you dive onto the background surface and cling on to it if your character makes contact, otherwise you character will go back to falling

X: you twirl as it's held down, this is needed to traverse on walls and hurt enemies, as well as maintain your presence on the background.
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.18.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.21.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.21.52 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.22.53 AM.png
Reactions: Ice

Latest reviews

Very interesting take on the gameplay, but as you stated, it's in a very early state. There is no way I can get into detail to explain, since of how short this demo is, but my only complaints right now are that the performance depends too much on a single-core CPU (I use 3.10GHz dual-core for reference) and so the performance is kinda choppy but still playable. And the twirl mechanic can be abused 'till the end unless you have to jump through gaps as twirling makes your character stick on the surface you were standing on. Anyway, a very rough demo with very rough everything. Very interested to see what this project will be like in the future.
jnpickee
jnpickee
Thank you for the fair review, I have the twirl mechanic (along with it's surface binding) on cue to be worked on, but the performance issue confuses me, could I get some more info on that? was a screen tearing the issue you were experiencing? or was it a slow down in fps? also which version did you use? I know the windows version has a ton of problems, and I cannot test it without a family member's help right now, my apologies for that, the mac version at least I know was tested and built on a 1.7 GHZ i5 CPU and it runs at a almost steady 30 fps, if it is the windows version, I am going to either have put a warning on it or take it down for the time being
Dima064
Dima064
For your sake, I've decided to download a program to show my overlay, so I can record how the game plays and what is affected the most in terms of CPU and GPU power. Hope it helps.
jnpickee
jnpickee
yes it does thank you, wow, thats bad, it's indeed the windows Panda3d port again, I am truly sorry you had to go through that, the windows port of all my games suffer half speed permanence regardless of PC rigs, I have tried and still am trying to find a workaround of the poor optimizations of the windows port, I was sure it was at least playable, because some the optimization techniques showed promise, but this is inexcusable, I will take down the windows port right away and add it's fixing to the cue, thank you for your help and sorry about that.

Comments

This is very trippy, I like the concept but it still needs a lot of work. A HUD, controller support, a title screen, optimization, a zoomed out camera, and better sound effects.

SAGE 22 - Sonic Fan Game 2 out of 69 - Amy's Rascal Race
Very rough execution for a concept that could be good if done well. Won't leave a rating.

I'm gonna make this one game the only exception that I won't leave a rating due to you admitting that the game is in an unpolished, unfinished state. With that being said, I'm still gonna leave a review for the game without the rating here in the comments.

Starting off, I shall say that a DKC-styled game featuring Amy out of all characters is really a concept that I would personally enjoy. However, the state of the game currently is not very enjoyable.

Controlling Amy and the others doesn't really feel satisfying and the jump feels weird and jank, especially when twirling.
There's no indication in the level that the pits are supposed to be, well pits.
The camera is fixed, which doesn't go great when going downhill since there would be a pit I couldn't see, or there would be an enemy I couldn't see off-screen.
Twirling is downright broken for taking out enemies so there's no point in bouncing on their heads instead. Plus I'm not a fan of it being necessary to travel up walls/hills, I'm sure it could work but it just feels very jank when using it.

Overall, didn't have a pleasant experience with it.
Now, don't take this as a sign of bashing the game since that's not my intention. Like I said before, the game's concept is a good one, just needs to be polished up and fleshed out more for it to work. So keep on trying and then I'm sure you'll get it down.

This is very trippy, I like the concept but it still needs a lot of work. A HUD, controller support, a title screen, optimization, a zoomed out camera, and better sound effects.
thank you for playing and your feedback it has been collected, yes, I can add in game pad support in the next update, the title screen is coming too, and I am working on optimizations I as type, the sound effect thing is going to have to wait, I would have to look around and see what sound libraries I can afford, the zoomed out camera thing is new to me in a 2d platformer, I can implement it, but would have to figure out how in a tasteful way, something like that needs some time and thought

thank you for playing and your feedback it has been collected, yes, I can add in game pad support in the next update, the title screen is coming too, and I am working on optimizations I as type, the sound effect thing is going to have to wait, I would have to look around and see what sound libraries I can afford, the zoomed out camera thing is new to me in a 2d platformer, I can implement it, but would have to figure out how in a tasteful way, something like that needs some time and thought
For sound effects, you absolutely don't need a paid library. For my projects I'll just seek out free sounds or stock sound effects that I haven't heard a billion times and that match what I'm going for.

SAGE 22 - Sonic Fan Game 2 out of 69 - Amy's Rascal Race
Very rough execution for a concept that could be good if done well. Won't leave a rating.

I'm gonna make this one game the only exception that I won't leave a rating due to you admitting that the game is in an unpolished, unfinished state. With that being said, I'm still gonna leave a review for the game without the rating here in the comments.

Starting off, I shall say that a DKC-styled game featuring Amy out of all characters is really a concept that I would personally enjoy. However, the state of the game currently is not very enjoyable.

Controlling Amy and the others doesn't really feel satisfying and the jump feels weird and jank, especially when twirling.
There's no indication in the level that the pits are supposed to be, well pits.
The camera is fixed, which doesn't go great when going downhill since there would be a pit I couldn't see, or there would be an enemy I couldn't see off-screen.
Twirling is downright broken for taking out enemies so there's no point in bouncing on their heads instead. Plus I'm not a fan of it being necessary to travel up walls/hills, I'm sure it could work but it just feels very jank when using it.

Overall, didn't have a pleasant experience with it.
Now, don't take this as a sign of bashing the game since that's not my intention. Like I said before, the game's concept is a good one, just needs to be polished up and fleshed out more for it to work. So keep on trying and then I'm sure you'll get it down.
Not at all, thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing, yes, the twirling has not been completely figured out yet and is missing features like stamina to balance it out, I all I wanted for the time being is show that it worked (on a surface level that is), the bouncing on the head thing was not designed for this test stage was implemented as a foresight to situations like using midair enemies as platforms, I apologize for the confusion it has caused.

You said that the movment and jump feel bad, could you go into specifics? I think I know why the jump is bad, it could be the delay between starting it and/or collision for ending it, but the movement I would love to know details. The pit issue I believe could be due to taking out all the camera pausing fields.

I had made these special fields that when you enter pauses the movement for the camera, and this would tip the player off as "this is the end of the line" as said before I toke those out, and did that to get the game running from 20 fps back to 30fps in a short time frame, I am working on optimizations now though that will hopefully fix this, and we will see if that fixes the issue on the next update.

For sound effects, you absolutely don't need a paid library. For my projects I'll just seek out free sounds or stock sound effects that I haven't heard a billion times and that match what I'm going for.
As in royalty free right? I think those ask for a one time upfront payment option, which I was going for.

As in royalty free right? I think those ask for a one time upfront payment option, which I was going for.
No just like, user uploaded sounds and stock sound effects online. I use Freesound, most users are cool with it as long as you credit them.

No just like, user uploaded sounds and stock sound effects online. I use Freesound, most users are cool with it as long as you credit them.
ah, really? thanks I will check it out monday, and see what I can do from there, thanks for the help

Not at all, thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing, yes, the twirling has not been completely figured out yet and is missing features like stamina to balance it out, I all I wanted for the time being is show that it worked (on a surface level that is), the bouncing on the head thing was not designed for this test stage was implemented as a foresight to situations like using midair enemies as platforms, I apologize for the confusion it has caused.

You said that the movment and jump feel bad, could you go into specifics? I think I know why the jump is bad, it could be the delay between starting it and/or collision for ending it, but the movement I would love to know details. The pit issue I believe could be due to taking out all the camera pausing fields.

I had made these special fields that when you enter pauses the movement for the camera, and this would tip the player off as "this is the end of the line" as said before I toke those out, and did that to get the game running from 20 fps back to 30fps in a short time frame, I am working on optimizations now though that will hopefully fix this, and we will see if that fixes the issue on the next update.
Okay so, the reason why jumping feels really janky is that it doesn't feel natural in any way. The jump doesn't feel like there's any weight to it.
And there's also an issue when it comes to jumping while using twirl. From what I played, it is tied to the angle of a slope, so a lot more jank happens when that occurs; like falling into a pit when twirling and jumping because the game thinks you're stuck to the ground.
Hope you can iron out these issues in future builds.

Okay so, the reason why jumping feels really janky is that it doesn't feel natural in any way. The jump doesn't feel like there's any weight to it.
And there's also an issue when it comes to jumping while using twirl. From what I played, it is tied to the angle of a slope, so a lot more jank happens when that occurs; like falling into a pit when twirling and jumping because the game thinks you're stuck to the ground.
Hope you can iron out these issues in future builds.
Floaty right? (laughs), that issue has more to do with the collision more then the jump, as if the gravity speed is set to high the player will fall through the mesh, I will include better collision in the update feature list though, thank you for the insight.

The angle thing is still something I am working on, it's actually a idea oversight on my part, the twirling had been all tested on a sphere, I was trying to go for a mario galaxy like gimmick where the twirling allowed the player to stick to piece of mesh, regardless of jumping or not, like mario does with a planetoid in mario galaxy, though I am finding out that this feature may be not best suited, and may be more of those features that are better written on paper, I may add it on the update list, but I need some ideas first, this one may take some time and testing.

I think it's a bit too early to be on SAGE, or to be interacted with by non devs or non testers. I didn't understood what was even happening when i tried to play it. At least it wasn't another test level, that's something.

I think it's a bit too early to be on SAGE, or to be interacted with by non devs or non testers. I didn't understood what was even happening when i tried to play it. At least it wasn't another test level, that's something.
You have a point, thank you for playing

Item information

Added by
jnpickee
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
2.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in Fan Games

Share this item