don't click here

Best easy to use fangame engine?

xxxswagbuckxxx

Green Hill Zone
Sep 10, 2017
I am hoping to make a new Sonic fangame using a great engine, kind of like Sonic Before and After the Sequel. Anyone know of a good one?

Mr. Potatobadger

Pepto-Bismol Aficionado
Aug 13, 2017
Florida
This is... A tough question, to say the least.

I can tell from your post that you're probably young, ambitious, and full of ideas. You want to do it all.

I hate to say it, but nothing current is really "great". "Right now" is a really tough time to get into this kind of thing. There are some big limitations and problems that all current solutions have. (Luckily, we will soon enter a new era!)
There are plenty of options in Game Maker. Mess around with one of those, and learn how to program and all that good stuff, and wait for a better engine to come out. GM is a good start for learning.

If at all possible, avoid Clickteam Fusion. It will give you the wrong mindset and create bad habits. I know this from experience.

That's pretty much the only advice I can give you... Like I said, nothing out there is really "great", so it's hard to recommend something specific. Just absorb information, learn as much as you can, and wait for something great to come. I hate saying this, but that's just how I feel.

If you want to be good at programming, learn everything you can about it, and program.
If you want to design levels, learn everything you can about designing levels, and design some levels.
If you want to make art, make art, and just keep making art.
If you want to make music, make music, and keep making music.

Find out what you're good at, and focus on it.

DimensionWarped

Resuming Dangerous Status
Aug 29, 2017
CF provides a lot of niceties that you don't get with something like GameMaker though. Events might be a shitty way to program a game, but the frame editor is definitely a pretty ideal way to make a level. Though I do hear the new GameMaker might have some nicer level designing tools.

Sonic Worlds remains what I consider to be one of the most accessible engines and one of the best for teaching someone how to make gimmicks under the MMF/CF style event framework. There are similar GameMaker projects that I'm less familiar with primarily on account of having only made a few enemies and a gimmick or two in GameMaker and little in the way of more complex things.

Since PotatoBadger has been maintaining Sonic Worlds for some time now though, I'd say he probably knows what he's talking about when he says something new is coming.

Mors

maryo flashback
Aug 29, 2017
Kebabland
www.mors-games.com
I agree with Potatobadger, but if you really want a list there are 3 major engines I know. Sonic Worlds, Sonic MAX, and AeroGP's Engine (There's also GMate but I don't think it would be right to suggest it for various reasons)
  • Sonic Worlds is the most popular one, and it seems like it's the easiest one to use. However, it's made in Clickteam Fusion which is an engine that should be avoided imo. You will be really limited when your fangame starts to be something really complex.
  • Sonic MAX is the most complete one. It has some minor issues I noticed, like the camera not being so good or sometimes collisions acting weird, but other than these it's almost like a perfect replica of Classic Sonic games in GameMaker: Studio. It also has a lot of features, but because of that there are a lot of bad fangames made with it, so it's kinda infamous. Kinda like Hello Engine of Sonic fangames if you know what I mean.
  • And lastly there's AeroGP's engine. It's actually really good but I didn't use it much. If you're willing to program some stuff by yourself then I guess (?) it's the best one out of three.
But if I was you I'd just wait for TealSonic. It's an upcoming Sonic engine made in a custom game engine called Teal, and it's gonna be pretty much the best one. (I hope at least)

EDIT: Dang, got ninja'd. :V

ChaosFusion

Coffee Addict
Aug 29, 2017
Aside from what the others have also said which is excellent advice here's all I will add, 4 Words: Avoid Sonic Revival Engine. Or more specifically, avoid the first version of the Revival engine or The Revival Unleashed engine.
Even I'm guilty of it but the Revival Engine should be avoided like the plague due to how obsolete + rough it is with physics and collision handling though that doesn't stop many eager fans from picking it up and creating some low quality fan games due to how accessible it is. Again, the engines listed above are far better options.

WizToad

Marble Zone
Apr 13, 2018
UK
From what I heard, the Flicky engine is going to come out quite soon, and it should be available on more than one version of Game Maker, so look out of that engine when it is finished. I tested a little bit of the engine a while ago and it is amazing.

tarkan

Marble Zone
Dec 25, 2017
From what I heard, the Flicky engine is going to come out quite soon, and it should be available on more than one version of Game Maker, so look out of that engine when it is finished. I tested a little bit of the engine a while ago and it is amazing.
Oh.
I didn't know that.
but thanks for letting me know.
and also...
are you part of the Flicky engine team?
just asking because you said: I tested a little bit of the engine a while ago.